Food, Health and the Environment PG (8381.1)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188374) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ONLINE, BRUCE (180156) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180155) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ONLINE, BRUCE (164256) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ONLINE, BRUCE (151978) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (140788) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines food systems and their interaction with the physical environment. It will focus on the sustainability of food systems by examining what we consume and how it affects the environment. The focus will include driving and limiting factors of a food system, how food systems have changed, the influences and consequences of this change. Public health nutrition issues relating to the changing food supply will be explored.
This unit is co-taught with unit 9631 Food, Health and Environment.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Evaluate the different food systems used in the past and present, including factors that drive and limit them;
2. Discuss sustainability of the environment, comparing and contrasting the strengths and limitations of different food systems;
3. Critically analyse the role of consumers and retailing on food systems and food choice;
4. Discuss the public health nutrition issues related to the changing food supply;
5. Evaluate alternative or complementary approaches to current food systems to increase sustainability; and
6. Identify the knowledge and skills required to reduce the effect of the food system on the environment.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
Semester 2, 2018
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
4 hours per week.
Graduate entry and permission of unit convener.