Health, Disease and Exercise G (8365.2)
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Ben RATTRAY (Ph: +61 2 62015145 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (195839) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (191435) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180151) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164259) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (151970) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140780) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The aim of this unit is to enable an understanding the relationships between physical activity, sedentary behaviours and lifestyle related diseases. Physical activities role in chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes mellitus, renal disease, dementia and cancers. Students must display competency in practical skills related to health assessments. Students are also provided the opportunity to critique a related research paper of their own choosing and communicate the findings to a wider audience.
This unit will be co-taught with unit 8340 Health, Disease and Exercise.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain exercise interventions as they relate to the prevention and treatment of chronic health conditions;
2. Make judgements regarding the efficacy of physical activity interventions for health;
3. Display competency in the practical skills associated with basic health assessments; and
4. Critique and communicate scientific literature in the area across different mediums.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
4 hours per week.
ACT: Chemistry (T) or Physics (T) major and Biology (T), and Mathematics (T). NSW: 2u Chemistry or 2u Physics and 2u Mathematics, 2u Biology.