Health, Disease and Exercise (8340.3)
|Level:||Undergraduate Second Year Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Semester 2 DR Ben RATTRAY (Ph: +61 2 62015145 ) FLEXIBLE 2020 Semester 2 DR Ben RATTRAY (Ph: +61 2 62015145 ) FLEXIBLE
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (191434) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180162) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164260) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (152020) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140839) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The aim of this unit is to enable an understanding the relationships between physical activity, sedentary behaviours and lifestyle related diseases. Physical activities role in chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes mellitus, renal disease, dementia and cancers.
Students must display competency in practical skills related to health assessments. Students are also provided the opportunity to critique a related research paper of their own choosing and communicate the findings to a wider audience.
This unit will be co-taught with unit Health, Disease and Exercise G.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain exercise interventions as they relate to the prevention and treatment of chronic health conditions;
2. Make judgements regarding the efficacy of physical activity interventions for health;
3. Display competency in the practical skills associated with basic health assessments; and
4. Critique and communicate scientific literature in the area to a lay audience.
Five hours per week.
Physiology of Exercise 1
- 266JA Bachelor of Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- 202JA Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- 156JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
- 275JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- 153JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 155JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management
- 274JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 278JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Sports Management