Nutritional Science G (8258.3)
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Winter Term DR Nenad NAUMOVSKI (Ph: +61 2 62068719 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Michelle MINEHAN (Ph: +61 2 62068746 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198895) - View
- Winter Term, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198896) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (189608) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (189125) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180609) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (179876) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164481) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (163957) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152480) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (153920) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (141195) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145411) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit extends understanding of the physiological function of nutrients with a focus on micronutrients and other food components. Methods for assessing the food and nutrient intake of groups are examined. Advanced application of tools such as Nutrient Reference Values and biomarkers is explained. Fortification of the food supply and interactions between drugs and nutrients are explored.
This unit is co-taught with unit 8257 Nutritional Science.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse the physiological function, food sources and requirements of specified nutrients;
2. Examine and effectively employ methods to assess food and nutrient intake of groups;
3. Appraise and select nutrition evidence;
4. Transmit evidence-based nutrition concepts to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Winter Term, 2020
4 hours per week
Permission of unit convener.
Admission to courses: Graduate Certificate in Human Nutrition; Master of Nutrition; Master of Nutrition and Dietetics; Master of Pharmacy; Graduate Diploma in Nutritional Science.