Food Science G (8252.2)
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Nenad NAUMOVSKI (Ph: +61 2 62068719 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196494) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188514) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180307) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169951) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152054) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140882) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit addresses topics such as food as a commodity, food science and technology including physical and chemical properties of macronutrients and other components in food, effects of processing, principles of food preservation, and mechanisms of food poisoning and ways to prevent it. The principles and practices of food hygiene and legislation on food safety are a major focus, as is the role of the major organsiation involved in food regulation in Australia.This unit is co-taught with unit Food Science.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of food science and technology as it relates to nutrition;
2. Describe the major reactions occurring in foods as a result of processing and storage;
3. Describe the principles of food preservation and the major types of processes used;
4. Describe the beneficial and detrimental effects of micro-organisms in food;
5. Describe and articulate the processes for safeguarding and monitoring food quality in Australia (eg. food standards, food labeling); and
6. Describe the roles of the various bodies in Australia for regulating food standards.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
Four hours per week.
Permission of unit convener.