Food Science (8251.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Nenad NAUMOVSKI (Ph: +61 2 62068719 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188513) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180306) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169938) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151773) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140506) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit addresses topics such as food as a commodity, food science and technology including physical and chemical properties of macronutrients and other components in food, effects of processing, principles of food preservation, and mechanisms of food poisoning and ways to prevent it. The principles and practices of food hygiene and legislation on food safety are a major focus, as is the role of the major organsiation involved in food regulation in Australia.
This unit is co-taught with unit 8252 Food Science G.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of food science and technology as it relates to nutrition;
2. Outline the major reactions occurring in foods as a result of processing and storage;
3. Describe the principles of food preservation and the major types of processes used;
4. Describe the beneficial and detrimental effects of micro-organisms in food;
5. Outline the processes for safeguarding and monitoring food quality in Australia (eg. food standards, food labeling); and
6. Describe the roles of the various bodies in Australia for regulating food standards.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
4 hours per week.
9279 Introduction to Food Science
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 265JA Bachelor of Environmental Health
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- HLB102 Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition Studies)
- 686AA Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition