National Security (8246.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra School of Politics, Economics and Society|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (178796) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (167376) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (159600) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139733) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
National security is more than territorial integrity or a question of sovereignty. Globalisation, non-state actors, weapons proliferation, climate change, potential energy shortages and financial turmoil are forcing us to rethink security.The Prime Minister's 2008 National Security Statement, the changing nature of the state and our future security environment will be examined. New security threats will be considered in the context of risk and how the elements of national power can be applied to counter their effect. The course will review the changing nature of war and consider terrorism, insurgency and counterinsurgency theories and the effectiveness of intervention and stabilisation strategies to assist failed and failing states.The course will conclude with a comparative study of international security architectures and an assessment of Australias national security apparatus and approach.
1. Evaluate the changing nature of the state and security in a globalised security environment.
2. Analyse new threats and challenges to national security.
3. Assess the policies and procedures required to produce a whole of government response to national security problems.
4. Evaluate how the elements of national power can be used to counter national security threats and challenges.
5. Compare and assess Australia?s national security architecture withinternational models.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
Three hours per week.
675 Politics and Democracy OR 9548 Introduction to Politics OR 8296 Introduction to Politics and Government OR 9549 Introduction to Western Political Thoughts OR 6606 Government-Business Relations
- 182JA Bachelor of Accounting
- 943AA Bachelor of Applied Economics
- 946AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Management
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 822AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Management
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 183JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy
- 761AA Bachelor of Business Administration
- 807AA Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Management
- 762AA Bachelor of Commerce
- 100JA Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 232JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 281JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 811AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Tourism Management
- 112JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Commerce
- 208JA Bachelor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- 279JA Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 184JA Bachelor of Finance
- 185JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management
- 186JA Bachelor of International Business
- 248JA Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 394AA Bachelor of Management
- 101JA Bachelor of Management / Bachelor of Journalism
- 102JA Bachelor of Management / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 128JA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 187JA Bachelor of Marketing Management
- 237JA Bachelor of Politics & International Relations/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 124JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations
- 145JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Applied Economics
- 146JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Business Administration
- 147JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Commerce
- 236JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 148JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 210JA Bachelor of Public Administration
- 188JA Bachelor of Social Science