Indigenous Australians and the Law (8245.2)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, HG-WAV (154276) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (156204) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The topics covered may include:- Indigenous Laws and Relationship to the Land;- Legal Impact of Colonisation:- in social, political and practical context;- History and Government Policy;- Land Land rights Native Title;- Indigenous governance and self-determination;- Criminal Justice;- Racial Discrimination;- Intellectual property and Cultural Heritage - identity, pride and ownership;- The impact of International Human Rights Law (or possibly covered in other areas of course- Resolution: Reconciliation, Treaty and the future.
1. demonstrate an understanding of aspects of Indigenous systems of law, regulation and social organisation, past and continuing, and contrast these with the legal systems of the dominant Anglo-Australian culture.
2. appreciate the impact of colonisation/invasion on Indigenous Australians; their lives, land, legal systems and sovereignty.
3. appreciate and evaluate moral and legal claims of Indigenous Australians to continued sovereignty, self-determination and cultural integrity, and assess judicial and governmental responses to such claims.
4. understand the importance of land for Indigenous Australians and the historical and contemporary struggle for land rights, and evaluate the adequacy or inadequacy of existing statutory and common law recognition of these rights.
5. appreciate and engage with the experiences of Indigenous Australians within the Anglo-Australian criminal justice system, as prisoners, defendants, victims and witnesses.
6. identify past and continuing incidences of racism, discrimination and inequality faced by Indigenous Australians and evaluate the adequacy of legal and political responses.
7. consider and critically analyse the potential for law reform to redress injustice and disadvantage faced by Indigenous Australians.
8. consider the relevance of international law and evaluate its potential as a means of protecting and promoting the human rights of Indigenous Australians.
9. consider and reflect on options for fundamental change to the legal and social position of Indigenous Australians, including constitutional reform and reconciliation.
- UC - Canberra, Bruce
- UC Melbourne - Waverley Campus
Three hours per week or equivalent.
6599 Law and Society OR 7000 Indigenous Politics and the State OR 9467 Indigenous History and Identity OR 4977 Introduction to Business Law OR 9523 Business Law & Ethics
- 247JA Associate Degree of Justice Studies
- 107JA Associate Degree of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 182JA Bachelor of Accounting
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 943AA Bachelor of Applied Economics
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 183JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 239JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 761AA Bachelor of Business Administration
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 762AA Bachelor of Commerce
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 228JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 208JA Bachelor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- 279JA Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 184JA Bachelor of Finance
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 209JA Bachelor of Gender and Diversity
- 185JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 186JA Bachelor of International Business
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 248JA Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 394AA Bachelor of Management
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 187JA Bachelor of Marketing Management
- 124JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 210JA Bachelor of Public Administration
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 188JA Bachelor of Social Science
- 949AA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 151JA Bachelor of Social and Community Studies/Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws