Agency Operations (8135.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Journalism & Communication Studies|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2010 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2009
This unit will focus on advertising as a business, and in particular explain the different types of agency operations including traditional advertising, media, digital and strategic brand consultancies. It recognizes that integrated communication is standard industry practice and this has seen most advertising holding companies evolve into communication companies. A particular concern of the unit will be to examine the ownership of both global and local organisations, their diverse range products and services, job functions and responsibilities of the people who manage them, industry codes and self-regulation and how agency cultures, leadership and management styles influence organizational structure and operating philosophies.
1. provide students with a broad understanding of the primary functions and operations of advertising and related specialist marketing communication agencies, and how their financial and staff structures are managed from back office facilities through to front-of- house services.
2. Students will gain familiarity with the roles, responsibilities and accountability required to manage advertising accounts, recognise the importance of self-regulation and industry codes of practice, be familiar with the skills required to deliver measurable business results, demonstrate initiative and grow the business for mutual benefit
3 hours per week.
Introduction to Professional Communication and Professional Communication Practice.
Basic skills in computer and internet access.