Journalism Internship (8117.3)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Journalism & Creative Writing|
Students will complete 75 hours in a journalism-related position with an approved organisation. During the internship, students must be actively involved in the production of content in a print, broadcast or online environment. Students must write a 500-word reflective journal which identifies the major journalistic, ethical and professional issues they encountered on the internship. The major assessment task in this unit will require students to write a feature article or produce a radio or television current affairs story. The majority of supervision in this unit will be provided by academics in the journalism program. Students will be required to regularly meet the unit convenor to discuss the progress of their assessment tasks. A seminar/lecture series on professional practice and preparing for the workforce will also be held.Students must compile a personal portfolio of news stories and other journalistic projects produced in the internship and during their degree.
1. understand the relationship between journalism theory and practice;
2. write and produce a long-form piece of journalism which demonstrates research skills, analysis, evaluation and well-structured argument; and
3. identify and evaluate the ethical, legal and professional issues associated with media-related industries.
1 hour per week.
Broadcast Journalism 2 or Print Journalism 2.
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 991AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Journalism
- 982AA Bachelor of Journalism
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 101JA Bachelor of Management / Bachelor of Journalism
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism