Professional Practice in the Information Sector PG (8112.3)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Humanities|
This unit provides students in the Master of Information Studies with the opportunity to engage in and reflect on work experience within an information agency. Students? observation and participation in the activities of the organisation is used to enhance their professional development and to consider and apply theory to practice. The professional practice is built around a project, which is to be agreed between the student and the host information agency. Typically, students will undertake and critically examine tasks in relation to the organisation's mission and goals, under the supervision of a professional practitioner. They will engage in reflective learning activities throughout. They will be advised to liaise with the unit convenor by the middle of the previous semester.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Develop skills knowledge and attributes relating to professional practice within an organisation;
2. Conduct a critical assessment of the relevance and validity of theory to work practice;
3. Examine and assess issues, problems and practices in relation to the mission and goals of an organisation;
4. Conduct or participate in a significant project that provides host employers with a value-added service; and
5. Develop the ability to reflect on and evaluate personal and professional experience.