Linear Algebra (8110.3)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185042) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182156) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165792) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154296) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145735) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Systems of linear algebraic equations: Gaussian elimination and triangular decomposition; Numerical issues: norms and conditioning; Iterative methods for linear systems; Vector Spaces: basis, dimension, linear transformations, rank, kernel-image theorem, change of basis, matrix of a linear transformation; Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors: similarity and diagonalisation, symmetric matrices, Hermitian matrices, Jordan canonical forms, quadratic forms; Applications of Eigenvalues: matrix exponentiation, Markov chains, engineering; Inner Product Spaces: orthogonality, orthogonal projection, Gram-Schmidt process; Application to Fourier analysis, linear differential systems, least squares approximation, error correcting codes and Singular value decomposition.
1. understand the topics covered and to be able to apply this understanding to real problems in the areas covered.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
A 2-hour lecture and a 2-hour tutorial per week
Discrete Mathematics or Mathematical Methods.