Earth System Science (8101.3)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Duanne WHITE (Ph: +61 2 62012083 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185376) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182138) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166402) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155437) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145426) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is about the large-scale natural systems that drive and maintain our planet. It also examines the effects and implications of human activities on and with these systems. The unit uses a number of themes related to contemporary environmental issues to explore the fundamental interactions of the geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere and biosphere. The unit is designed to provide a strong scientific foundation for understanding and contextualising studies of the environment, human impacts and sustainable practice and management of resources.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. A basic understanding of the Earth as an holistic system;
2. Knowledge of the main components of the Earth system and their interactions;
3. An appreciation of the implications of human interaction with the Earth system for sustainable management of the planet; and
4. Acquired skills in inquiry-based learning.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
5 hours per week.
- 793AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- 120JA Bachelor of Arts in Landscape
- 130JA Bachelor of Arts in Landscape/Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies
- 265JA Bachelor of Environmental Health
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 956AA Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0133 Major in Biology 2
- MJ0192 Major in Coastal Marine Science
- MJ0193 Major in Earth Science
- MJ0301 Major in Earth Science (21cp)
- MJ0155 Major in Sustainability
- MJ0243 Major in Sustainability and Human Health (18cp)
- MJ0300 Major in Sustainable Landscapes
- MN0009 Minor in Biology 1
- MN0010 Minor in Biology 2
- MN0135 Minor in Catchment Science
- MN0136 Minor in Earth Science
- MN0137 Minor in Geochemistry
- MN0100 Minor in Sustainability