Mental Health and the Law (8055.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (167811) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (147404) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The unit will provide students with knowledge of the relationship between mental health and disability and the legal system. Students will develop skills in:- problem identification and resolution, and a range of other important skills;- oral and written communication;- teamwork; and - legal research and applicationTopics to be covered in the unit may include capacity; criminal justice and sentencing of mentally ill offenders; mental illness and property; mental disability in minors; and acquired mental disability issues.
- On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to: Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the legal system and mental health issues; demonstrate how practical skills such as analysis, research and writing are put to use; demonstrate an ability to apply theoretical knowledge to problem solving; reflect on the social and ethical issues of the relationship between the legal system and mental health.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Winter Term, 2017
- Winter Term, 2015
Three hours per week (face-to-face full semester) or equivalent (face-to-face intensive).
Completion of 24 credit points.
Introductory legal subject -although background information about the areas covered will be provided, it is expected that students will be familiar with basic legal principles.
- 247JA Associate Degree of Justice Studies
- 107JA Associate Degree of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 142HG Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 239JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 228JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 248JA Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 949AA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws