Clinical Microbiology (8027.3)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Katie COHEN (Ph: +61 2 62012360 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194190) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185038) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182111) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165735) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154045) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145477) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The purpose of this unit is the develop the students understanding of the concepts and scope of diagnostic medical microbiology (including bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, and virology emphasising the pathology, diagnosis, and treatment of infectious diseases. Practical skills in the collection and processing of clinical material and in the isolation, identification, and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of medically important bacteria are emphasised.
On successful completion of this unit, students will demonstrate:
1. Knowledge, understanding and be able to evaluate the clinical significance of microorganisms commonly recovered in medical microbiology laboratories;
2. The ability to apply this knowledge in evaluating a range of techniques used in microbiology laboratories to isolate, characterise, and identify medically important microorganisms;
3. The ability to critically analyse the standards of practice of medical laboratory science in clinical/research microbiology laboratories including laboratory safety standards; and
4. The ability to make choices based on reasoned argument and present case-based outcomes clearly and concisely.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
One two-hour lecture a week plus four hours of practicals a week.
Introduction to Microbiology.