Computer and Network Security (8019.5)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 MR Ibrahim ELGENDI (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195627) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185371) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, GBCA-MELB (182083) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182086) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, SWSI-LVPL (166267) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, GBCA-MELB (173278) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166266) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, UC-MELB (151417) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, SWSI-LVPL (151416) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151415) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, UC-MELB (148014) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, SWSI-LVPL (148013) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (148012) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
Recent times have seen a proliferation of digital devices and the subsequent concern for the security of information. This unit introduces students to the basic principles and practices of computer and information security. Focus will be on the software, operating system and network security techniques with detailed analysis of real-world examples. Topics include cryptography, authentication, software and operating system security, network security, mobile security, and legal and ethical issues. In addition, the unit promotes and strengthens important generic skills, such as communication, analysis and inquiry, problem solving, independent and group working, and professionalism and social responsibility. This unit may be cotaught with 6697 Computer and Network Security PG.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
1. Describe basic cryptographic functionality, including symmetric ciphers, public key encryption, and digital signatures;
2. Evaluate the security of systems that use cryptography and secure communication techniques;
3. Identify the vulnerability of information systems and justify specific security technologies, settings, and parameters that can improve system security design;
4. Describe existing secure network architectures by applying security technologies such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and malicious software scanners; and
5. Discuss how privacy and social engineering issues can impact system design.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
Up to 3 hours per week - 2 hours lecture and 1 hour tutorial
4483 Software Technology 1.
IT skills commensurate with advanced study of information technology are assumed.
6697 Computer and Network Security PG.
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 706AA Bachelor of Business Informatics
- ETB001 Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- ITB101 Bachelor of Engineering Technology
- 106JA Bachelor of Engineering in Network and Software Engineering
- 344JA Bachelor of Engineering in Network and Software Engineering (Honours)
- 322HG Bachelor of Information Technology
- 322AA Bachelor of Information Technology
- 938AA Bachelor of Information Technology in Mainframe Computing
- 815AA Bachelor of Information Technology/Bachelor of Commerce
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 560AA Bachelor of Software Engineering
- 838AA Bachelor of Software Engineering/Bachelor of Business Informatics
- 157JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 277JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- MJ0161 Major in Mainframe Computing (Restricted)
- MJ0158 Major in Network Engineering
- MJ0262 Major in Network Engineering
- MJ0293 Major in Software Engineering (BIT) (18cp) (Restricted)
- MJ0107 Major in Software Engineering (BIT) (Restricted)
- MN0166 Minor in Computer Security
- MN0172 Minor in Network Computing
- MN0178 Minor in Network Engineering
- SM0056 Specialist Major in Cybersecurity and System Administration
- SM0054 Specialist Major in Engineering Technology
- SM0061 Specialist Major in Network and Software Engineering