Social and Environmental Education 1 (7988.4)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145733) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide students with a theoretical and practical base for the teaching social and environmental education in early childhood and primary settings. Students will examine the disciplinary foundations of social and environmental education and investigate recent curricula initiatives and issues at national and local levels. This unit will also provide students with a framework for the design, implementation and assessment of social and environmental education underpinned by an understanding of quality resources and instruction in the key learning area. Throughout the unit students will be required to reflect upon their own perceptions and experiences of social and environmental education and asked to constantly question the basis of their judgements so that, ultimately, they will be able to present a socially, democratically and environmentally just curriculum in primary and early childhood contexts.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the unique characteristics and content of social and environmental education as defined by state, territory and national authorities; and
2. Design, implement and appraise quality learning experiences utilising critically appraised and appropriate resources for children in social and environmental education at the primary/early childhood level.
Three hours per week.
Enrolment in Bachelor of Education. Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching (Graduate Entry) as an acceptable co requisite.
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 204JA Bachelor of Education (Graduate Entry)
- 866AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (3-8 Years)
- 446AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (Birth-8) (UC/CIT)
- 788AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (Graduate Entry)
- 383AE Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching
- 789AA Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching (Graduate Entry)
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies