Distributed Systems Technology (7159.7)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (147601) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit covers network communication. It starts with an introduction to different communication technologies and structures of computer networks, including LAN, WAN and the Internet. Description of layers of software added to an operating system to support networking, including the TCP/IP protocol suite, is discussed in detail. Techniques for unicasting and multicasting programming in different platforms are also examined.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to
1. Describe and compare different types of network hardware;
2. Analyse the rolls of different layers of the network protocols, especially, the TCP/IP protocol suite;
3. Analyse the operations of main network components like network interface control, router, and firewall; and
4. Design and implement simple software packages for network communication in different platforms.
Up to 4 hours per week, 2L + 1T + 1L.
Software Technology 2 (7170) and System Software (7171).
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 106JA Bachelor of Engineering in Network and Software Engineering
- 344JA Bachelor of Engineering in Network and Software Engineering (Honours)
- 938AA Bachelor of Information Technology in Mainframe Computing
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science