Business Intelligence Systems (7156.6)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MS Rosetta ROMANO (Ph: +61 2 62012604 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200450) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194358) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185066) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181544) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166995) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154529) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (147992) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit, students learn how decision making in organisations can be supported by information systems such as decision support systems (DSS) and business intelligence systems (BIS) that draw their data from internal and external sources (databases, warehouses and environment scanning). Business intelligence technologies and visualisation tools comprising business analytics, data mining, text mining, neural networks, and business performance management are examined regarding their application in organisations. Each student is expected to design and construct a functional DSS/BIS prototype suitable for the information systems industry or to research a business intelligence topic and write it up in an academic essay.
This unit may be cotaught with 6680 Business Intelligence Systems PG.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of how computer-based information systems such as decision support systems (DSS) and business intelligence systems (BIS) can support managerial decision making in the contemporary business world;
2. Recognise and apply the tools, technologies and models available to assist in managerial decision making according to organisational requirements and resources; and
3. Acquire a working knowledge of how BIS/DSS systems are designed and constructed and how such systems are integrated into the organisational environment.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
Up to thirty nine hours per semester.
5915 Database Design
6680 Business Intelligence Systems PG.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 806AA Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Business Informatics
- 706AA Bachelor of Business Informatics
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- 100JA Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 232JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 281JA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management
- 811AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Tourism Management
- 112JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Commerce
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 838AA Bachelor of Software Engineering/Bachelor of Business Informatics