Scaffolding Literacy Education (7150.5)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140751) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides an introduction to the principles and practices of scaffolding literacy education and its role in promoting inclusive education for all learners. Students will learn about key strategies such as book selection, book orientation and the promotion of children's effective engagement with written language. They also learn about how to assess and analyse children's reading. The unit aims to equip students to implement literacy learning effectively in their teaching of both reading and writing.
- On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to: Examine the theoretical underpinnings of effective literacy pedagogy and its role in promoting inclusive education for all students;
- Demonstrate understanding of teaching strategies that promote effective engagement with written language;
- Implement teaching and learning strategies that scaffold learners; and
- Demonstrate ability to assess and analyse children's reading
3 hour workshop during Weeks 1-7.
Completion of 4796 Literacy for Teachers, unless enrolled in 204JA; 788AA; 789AA; 244JA OR 790AA.
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 110JA Bachelor of Education (UC)/Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (ANU)
- 109JA Bachelor of Education (UC)/Bachelor of Science (ANU)
- 866AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (3-8 Years)
- 446AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (Birth-8) (UC/CIT)
- 383AE Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching
- 111JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Arts
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies
- 244JA Bachelor of Teaching (Graduate Entry)
- MJ0200 Major in Early Childhood Teaching 3-8
- MJ0229 Major in Early Years Learning (Restricted)
- MJ0207 Major in General Educational Studies (Restricted)
- MJ0239 Major in International Education (Restricted)
- MJ0096 Major in Professional Experience (Primary Education) (Restricted)
- MN0175 Minor in General Educational Studies (Restricted)
- MN0051 Minor in Inclusive Education
- MN0085 Minor in Professional Experience (Early Childhood/Primary) (Restricted)