Literacy and Learning Difficulties (7148.5)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2006 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2012 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 5 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2013
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 28/10/2011
The unit addresses the teaching of literacy to children who experience learning difficulties. It builds upon and extends understandings developed in the prerequisite introductory unit, Introduction to Developmental, Learning and Behavioural Difficulties. The unit will pay particular attention to issues of assessment and practical strategy implementation in reading, writing and spelling for children experiencing learning difficulties. The unit will also address issues of parent/teacher cooperation in supporting these children.
1. literacy development in reading, writing, listening and speaking;
2. beliefs and views about the nature and the learning of literacy and how these determine the strategies teachers use to support literacy learning;
3. how to plan and carry out appropriate corrective instruction
Three hours a week.