Communication Internship (part A) (7133.4)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Journalism & Communication Studies|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2006 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2012
Communication Internship is a year long unit offered in two parts (A and B). Students must complete both parts to be assigned a result for the unit and have the credit points count towards course completion. Part A must be completed in Semester 1 and part B in Semester 2. Students are required to undertake an internship placement of 150 hours under the supervision of a professional practitioner in an appropriate workplace where they will be exposed to and involved in the processes of planning and implementing communication activities. Students are required to analyse the organisation and its communication practices by preparing research reports and keeping a reflective journal. They will also prepare and present a 30 minute seminar presentation to share their observations and experiences with other students.
1. Understand the relationships between communication theory and practice.
2. Critically analyse what they have learnt about communication practice
3. Appreciate their individual strengths and weaknesses as a communication professional
4. Use the knowledge and experience gained as tools for life-long learning
150 hours internship placement in a professional workplace; six hours of lectures; one hour individual consultation; and 16 hours of seminars.
The internship is normally available only to students in Year 3 who have completed all second year subjects in their area of specialisation. Public relations students must enrol in this unit. Students in other communication degrees may enrol in this unit provided they have permission from the Head of School.
Communication Internship (part B).