Physiological Psychology (7120.4)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Psychology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Andrew FLOOD (Ph: +61 2 62012369 ) FLEXIBLE
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (197414) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (188327) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (180100) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (164160) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (151981) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (140792) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces the physiological bases of human behaviour and explores the dominant research methodologies that are used in the field of neuropsychology. The unit also covers the major topics of neuronal structure and function, neuroanatomy, stages of neurotransmission, synaptic plasticity, sensory processing, and the physiological mechanisms of learning, memory and emotions.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the structures and functions of neurons;
2. Describe the processes involved in the generation and propagation of a neural impulse;
3. Recognise the major anatomical divisions of the human brain;
4. Apply knowledge of the physiological bases of behaviour to real-world issues; and
5. Explain the physiological processes underpinning various psychological phenomena.
Up to four hours per week.
4309 Psychology 101 OR 11399 Understanding People and Behaviour
4310 Psychology 102 OR 10444 Foundations of Psychology
Permission of the unit convener.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- ARSC01 Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 830AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCSC03 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 148JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 780AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCHL01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)
- SCSC01 Bachelor of Science in Psychology/ Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 156JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
- 275JA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science