Broadcast Journalism 2 (6973.4)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Arts and Design|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Journalism & Communication Studies|
This unit builds on the learning outcomes of Broadcast Journalism 1 by introducing students to the principles and practices of contemporary video news journalism for TV/online in a dramatically changing digital media environment. TV News and current affairs reports and programs on commercial and public stations will be examined, along with the role of news journalists within the industry, the codes of ethics that guide them, and the professional context within which they work.
Tutorials will focus on TV News reporting and production skills with particular emphasis on researching (including application of social media tools), scriptwriting, editing, presentation and interview techniques.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. conduct basic video interviews for broadcast/online publication;
2. research, write and produce basic video news packages for TV/online;
3. critique, analyse, synthesise and evaluate TV news and current affairs programs and their content; and
4. demonstrate an understanding of the changing structures, policies and practices of the TV industry, including ethical frameworks, impacts of convergence and the roles of 'new' and social media in research, audience curation and content distribution.
Broadcast Journalism 1 or permission of the course convenor.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 991AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Journalism
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 982AA Bachelor of Journalism
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 101JA Bachelor of Management / Bachelor of Journalism
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism