|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2006 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2014
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2012
This subject aims to give students an appreciation of the decisions to be made in designing field studies or experiments in ecology. The focus is on the knowledge, understanding and sound practical skills required for the application of analysis techniques of general use in ecology and environmental science. Practical exercises are built around the statistical package SAS, which is widely used in commerce, industry and educational institutions.
1. developed knowledge of statistics and its application
2. knowledge of the decisions needed to design, execute, analyse and report on an ecological study
3. the ability to interpret results of analyses
4. professional attitudes to study design and analysis
Up to two one-hour lectures, one two-hour practical class and one one-hour tutorial each week.
Data Analysis in Science, or Applied Statistics 1 plus Communication in Science or Physical Principle, or Mathematical Methods or Mathematics 1.