Professional Experience SEC 1 (6906.4)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Education Studies|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2011
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2006 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2010
This unit is designed to develop an awareness of teacher roles. Specific areas will include enhancement of self as a teacher and designer of a supportive classroom environment through immersion in the school environment. Opportunities are provided to observe and experiment with the planning, implementation and evaluation of single teaching episodes. Integral will be the critical reflection on personal growth as a teacher and challenges to personal philosophies of teaching.
- taught, with planning assistance from the mentoring teacher, teaching episodes to small groups and to the whole class
- observed and explored a range of classroom management strategies
- experimented with an array of verbal and non-verbal communication techniques as both teaching strategies and tools for classroom management
- displayed a variety of teaching strategies appropriate for student learning
- critically reflected on personal performance
Three hours a week plus 10 days in schools.
Education Foundations AND Students who have failed this unit once: Permission of unit convener.Students who have failed this unit twice: not permitted to enrol.Students who fail this unit will need to meet with the Director, Professional Experience to negotiate an individual plan for increasing the potential for a successful result. Permission of the unit convener is required to enrol in the unit.Students who have failed this unit twice will be required to contact the unit convener and the Director, Professional Experience, and show cause as to why they should be allowed to attempt the unit again. This will be via a written application submitted to the Faculty Assessment Board, which will determine if the student should be enrolled or not enrolled in the unit. This unit is required for teaching courses leading to the Bachelor of Education award. Students who are not able to complete this unit will not meet the academic requirements for this award. Such students may be able to complete the Bachelor of Educational Studies exit award, or transfer to another UC course with credit as outlined in the Credit Policy.