Legal Literacy for the Professions (6885.4)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2005 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2012
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2013 End Date: 31/12/2015
The unit provides an overview of legal principles and their applications in a range of professional areas. Students will be introduced to how laws are developed and changed, how legal decisions are made and enforced, how disputes are handled and rights protected, and how the law affects citizens in their business and family environment. Special topics may include: rights to privacy and security, professional liability and indemnity, the law regulating companies, trusts and partnerships, employment rights and disputes, and taxation obligations.
- Students doing this unit will: develop a basic familiarity with legal concepts and institutions; develop understanding of the relevance of the law to the professions.