Mathematics Education 1 (6735.5)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139275) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit will provide a sound theoretical base for the teaching of mathematics within Early Childhood and Primary settings. Constructivist and Representational theories will provide the major focus. This unit will examine curricular expectations for Early Childhood and Primary years and assist students in developing strategies for effective implementation of such curricula. The unit will also promote: developing positive attitudes towards mathematics, problem solving, communicating mathematically and reasoning mathematically, as well as assisting students to develop mathematical programs that incorporate these issues.
1. Develop teaching techniques and strategies for achieving the aims and objectives of a mathematics curriculum
2. Plan and engage in activities which will promote the confident application of learning skills to practical situations in the teaching of mathematics
3. Prepare materials appropriate for a specified age group of children in number, space, measurement, chance and data, mathematical inquiry and mathematical modelling
4. Report on the latest findings and developments in the field
5. Access and use technology for the teaching of mathematics
3 hours per week.
Enrolment in Graduate Entry courses or Reconstructing Mathematical Understanding.
Year 12 Mathematics.
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 204JA Bachelor of Education (Graduate Entry)
- 866AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (3-8 Years)
- 446AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (Birth-8) (UC/CIT)
- 788AA Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Teaching (Graduate Entry)
- 383AE Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching
- 789AA Bachelor of Education in Primary Teaching (Graduate Entry)
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies