Security and Support in IT G (6689.7)
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Yibe ALEM (Ph: +61 2 62068309 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195769) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185550) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181750) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166011) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (152226) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (147343) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (147341) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ONLINE, BRUCE (147338) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, FLEXIBLE, BRUCE (147337) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit teaches the principles and practice of IT system support and security management. Topics include desktop computer support, server computer support, helpdesk operation, cryptography and its application, software security, network security, operating system security, trusted computing and multilevel security, privacy issues, and professionalism and professional ethics. The unit provides students with a sound knowledge of IT infrastructure and security. It also provides students with the skills of daily operation, i.e., the support and management of these systems. In addition, the unit promotes and strengthens important generic skills, such as communication, analysis and inquiry, problem solving, independent and group working, and professionalism and social responsibility.
This unit may be cotaught with 11488 Security and Support in IT.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the basic concepts of various encryption algorithms and choose appropriate encryption algorithms for applications;
2. Review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise security threats, such as malicious software and DOS, and apply appropriate counter measures, such as firewall, multiple security models, and authentication and authorisation;
3. Plan and execute the basic tasks in managing IT infrastructure in a hypothetical or real case scenario, including desktop and server and computers, network, helpdesk operation, and security;
4. Perform independent research to deepen the understanding in a specific area or keep the pace with latest development in the fields; and
5. Further strengthen important generic skills, such as communication, analysis and inquiry, problem solving, independent and group working, and professionalism and social responsibility.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
Up to 3 hours per week - 2 hours lecture and 1 hour laboratory.
Assumed Knowledge: basic understanding of IT systems, including computer hardware, network, operating systems, storage media, database, and programming.
11488 Security and Support in IT and 7167 Security and Support in IT
- 844AA Graduate Diploma in Business Informatics
- 843AA Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- 309JA Master of Business Informatics
- 845AA Master of Business Informatics
- ITM001 Master of Data Science
- 846AA Master of Information Technology
- 973AA Master of Information Technology and Systems
- 900AA Master of Technology