Business Intelligence Systems PG (6680.5)
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MS Rosetta ROMANO (Ph: +61 2 62012604 ) EVENING
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, EVENING, BRUCE (200444) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, EVENING, BRUCE (194352) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, EVENING, BRUCE (185127) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, EVENING, BRUCE (181462) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, EVENING, BRUCE (167062) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, EVENING, BRUCE (154758) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145855) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
In this unit, students learn how decision making in organisations can be supported by information systems such as decision support systems (DSS) and business intelligence systems (BIS) that draw their data from internal and external sources (databases, warehouses and environment scanning). Business intelligence technologies and visualisation tools comprising business analytics, data mining, text mining, neural networks, and business performance management are examined regarding their application in organisations. Each student is expected to design and construct a functional DSS/BIS prototype suitable for the information systems industry and write it up in a business report or to research a business intelligence topic and write it up in an academic essay.
This unit may be cotaught with 7156 Business Intelligence Systems
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of how computer-based information systems such as decision support systems (DSS) and business intelligence systems (BIS) can support managerial decision making in the contemporary business world;
2. Recognise and apply the tools, technologies and models available to assist in managerial decision making according to organisational requirements and resources; and
3. Research, plan and write an academic essay of a topic drawn from relevant industry and scholarly literature.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
Up to 39 hours per semester.
Completion of 9 credit points at Graduate level.
6672 Database Design G OR equivalent.
7156 Business Intelligence Systems.
- 844AA Graduate Diploma in Business Informatics
- 843AA Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- 309JA Master of Business Informatics
- 845AA Master of Business Informatics
- 284JA Master of Business Management
- ITM001 Master of Data Science
- 846AA Master of Information Technology
- 973AA Master of Information Technology and Systems
- 974AA Master of Information Technology in Mainframe Computing (Advanced)
- 900AA Master of Technology
- 862AA Professional Doctorate in Information Sciences (Research)