Competition and Consumer Law (6593.6)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154885) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145297) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines the nature and operation of Australian competition and consumer protection law, primarily under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth). Consumer protection will be considered, although to a lesser extent, under other Commonwealth, State and Territory legislation.
The unit is broadly divided into two subject areas -
1. Competition Law, focusing on areas including market definition, competition, market power, cartels, anti-competitive agreements, exclusive dealing, resale price maintenance, anti-competitive mergers and acquisitions, authorisation and notifications and remedies and enforcement; and
2. Consumer Law, focusing on areas including the changes to consumer protection pursuant to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), misleading or deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct, unfair contracts regime, false or misleading representations, other unfair practices, consumer guarantees, product safety standards, remedies and enforcement.
3 hours per week
Legal Systems, 6602, or equivalent AND Legal Methods and Skills, 6601.
Basic knowledge of the legal system.
- 247JA Associate Degree of Justice Studies
- 107JA Associate Degree of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 238JA Bachelor of Australian Politics and Public Policy/Bachelor of Laws
- 239JA Bachelor of Building and Construction Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 225JA Bachelor of Communication in Advertising/Bachelor of Laws
- 226JA Bachelor of Communication in Journalism/Bachelor of Laws
- 227JA Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs/Bachelor of Laws
- 228JA Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 240JA Bachelor of Human Resource Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 949AA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies
- 241JA Bachelor of Social Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws