Professional Experience GE 1 (6584.4)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Education Studies|
CLOSED FOR FUTURE ENROLMENT.
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/07/2005 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2010
- Version 4 - Start Date: 01/01/2011 End Date: 31/12/2011
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
This unit requires the Preservice Teachers to investigate the role of teachers and the concepts of teaching through immersion in a school setting. They will be expected to observe day-to-day school activity and to participate in an assistant role. Opportunities will be provided to experiment with the planning, implementation and evaluation of single teaching episodes. Integral to this development will be ongoing critical reflection on personal philosophies of teaching and education.
- taught, with planning assistance from the Mentoring Teacher, teaching episodes to small groups and to the whole class
- directed his/her teaching experiences, where possible, toward their discipline/s study focus
- explored in practice a range of classroom management strategies
- experimented with an array of communication techniques as both a teaching strategy and as a tool for classroom management
- applied group management skills to small group and whole class situations
- gained an understanding of school procedures eg attendance
- attended staff meetings and assisted the Mentoring Teacher with duties eg playground
- developed their own personal philosophy of what teaching/learning is about
- critically reflected on personal performance
Three hours a week, plus 20 days in schools.
Students who have failed this unit once: Permission of unit convener.Students who have failed this unit twice: not permitted to enrol.Students who fail this unit will need to meet with the Director, Professional Experience to negotiate an individual plan for increasing the potential for a successful result. Permission of the unit convener is required to enrol in the unit. Students who have failed this unit twice will be required to contact the unit convener and the Director, Professional Experience, and show cause as to why they should be allowed to attempt the unit again. This will be via a written application submitted to the Faculty Assessment Board, which will determine if the student should be enrolled or not enrolled in the unit.This unit is required for teaching courses leading to the Bachelor of Education award. Students who are not able to complete this unit will not meet the academic requirements for this award. Such students may be able to complete the Bachelor of Educational Studies exit award, or transfer to another UC course with credit as outlined in the Credit Policy.