Introduction to Statistics G (6554.7)
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Sumaira QURESHI (Ph: +61 2 62068310 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Sumaira QURESHI (Ph: +61 2 62068310 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196134) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194237) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190261) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190260) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181721) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181720) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (174744) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165741) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154061) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (141127) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145491) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces students to modern statistical techniques and inference in a wide range of fields. Topics in this unit include data types and analysis, graphical displays and descriptive statistics, probability and probability distributions, sampling distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, correlation and simple linear regression, analysis of variance and Chi-square test.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify different types of variables and produce appropriate graphical displays and descriptive statistics;
2. Understand and apply probability rules and concepts related to various probability distributions;
3. Understand the concept of sampling distributions;
4. Conduct statistical inference including confidence intervals and hypothesis testing;
5. Perform and interpret correlation and simple linear regression including inference;
6. Perform analysis of variance and Chi-square tests; and
7. Understand basic statistical terminology in published material and express a problem in statistical terms.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
4 hours per week
6275 Statistical Analysis & Decision Making G.
- MXP001 Doctor of Philosophy
- 179JA Graduate Certificate in Statistics
- 844AA Graduate Diploma in Business Informatics
- 843AA Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- 839AA Graduate Diploma in Statistics
- 309JA Master of Business Informatics
- ITM001 Master of Data Science
- 846AA Master of Information Technology
- 973AA Master of Information Technology and Systems
- 771AA Master of Nutrition
- 900AA Master of Technology