The World of Chance (6548.5)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181709) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166519) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit deals with real-life applications of statistics focusing on health, law, communication, finance and sport. Topics from health, law and communication may include clinical trials and the assessment of risk, DNA fingerprinting and the use of expert witnesses and the reliability of opinion polls respectively. Topics of finance and gambling may include stock market and random walks and gambling respectively.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Assess critically the statistical content of articles and other presentations related to the fields of health, law, communication, finance and sport;
2. Understand and appreciate the judicious use of statistics in these five fields of study;
3. Apply a relevant computer package for the analyses and interpret the results; and
4. Present the results of analyses in a form which is suitable for publication.
A 2-hr lecture and a 2-hour lab per week.