Multivariate Statistics (6544.4)
|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185230) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181702) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (150623) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit deals with multivariate statistical and data analytical methods for analysing multidimensional and big data. The practical background of analyses will be presented and computer packages will be used to carry out the analyses. Topics will be selected from descriptive statistics, data visualisation, descriptive data mining, regression and classification, predictive data mining, principal components analysis and other dimension reduction techniques. Applications to data and problems in business, natural and social sciences will be illustrated.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the nature and properties of multivariate and big data;
2. Select and explain the appropriate statistical analysis for a given purpose and data set;
3. Evaluate the appropriateness and validity of a multivariate and analytic method; and
4. Produce and interpret the results by using a computer package.
A 2-hour lecture and a 2-hour lab per week.
6540 Introduction to Statistics OR 5123 Business Statistics OR 1809 Data Analysis in Science
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws