Mathematical Structures (6543.5)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185229) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181701) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165723) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (153952) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145387) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is concerned with the mathematics behind numerous aspects of modern computing including cryptography, and data communication, compression, storage and retrieval. It covers material chosen from elementary number theory, combinatorics, abstract algebra and information theory, and develops this material as a tool for application in the above areas. The unit lays the foundation for the level-3 unit Coding Theory. It is also relevant to students of secondary mathematics education, as much of the material may be viewed as background for the college curriculum.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate proficiency in combinatorial reasoning;
2. Appreciate the importance of mathematical proof and be able to devise proofs of their own;
3. Understand the applications of mathematics to real problems in modern computing and be able to apply this understanding to related areas; and
4. Gain a deeper understanding of the important mathematical constructions that are basic to mathematical computation.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
A 2-hour lecture and a 2-hour tutorial per week.
6698 Discrete Mathematics.
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 329JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Mathematics and Computing Technology Studies
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science