|Level:||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Reena GHILDYAL (Ph: +61 2 62015755 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193631) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185226) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181690) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165733) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154042) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (146149) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces basic concepts in immunology. The lectures deal with B- and T- lyphocytes, antibodies, complement factors, antigen presentation, interferons and other cytokines, immunodeficiencies, autoimmunity, cancer and vaccine strategies. The laboratory component contains key immunology techniques such as microscopy, flow cytometry, ELISA and PCR.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the differences between innate and adaptive immunity;
2. Describe organs and cells of the immune system;
3. Describe antigen processing presentation and recognition;
4. Describe B and T cell maturation, activation and differentiation;
5. Understand the role of antibodies in disease, diagnostics and research;
6. Describe the complement system;
7. Discuss the importance of vaccinations for the prevention and cure of many infectious diseases;
8. Describe and the development of autoimmune diseases; and
9. Understand the development of cancer and discuss current and future treatment options.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
Two one-hour lectures and one three-hour practical a week.
Biochemistry or equivalent previous units.
Pathobiology or equivalent previous units.
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science