Nutrition, Society and Health G (6476.3)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Winter Term DR Tanya LAWLIS (Ph: +61 2 62068911 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 MR Nathan D'CUNHA (Ph: +61 2 62068413 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196336) - View
- Winter Term, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194719) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188338) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (189586) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180111) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180582) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164179) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164511) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151205) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152653) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139427) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (146646) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the factors influencing food habits and food choice in different populations, including attitudes to food and health, religion, culture and the environment. The social, economic, political and ecological influences on food supply and food policy, food consumption trends and food and nutrition monitoring and surveillance will also be examined. This unit is co-taught with unit Nutrition, Society and Health.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the history and future of food use in Australia and across the globe;
2. Discuss the sociological factors, such as culture, religion, and socio-economic status, affecting food intake of individuals, groups, communities and populations;
3. Discuss the factors affecting attitudes to food and health;
4. Critically analyse the role that the environment plays in lifestyle development across the lifecycle;
5. Compare and contrast basic food consumption trends in Australia with trends in other countries;
6. Describe the food habits of ethnic sub-groups (including the Australian indigenous population);
7. Evaluate the impact of changes to traditional food habits on health outcomes; and
8. Critically analyse the influences of food policy, food marketing, food technology, politics, economics, ecology and agriculture on the food system.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Winter Term, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Winter Term, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
- Winter Term, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Winter Term, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
- Winter Term, 2015
Four hours per week.
Permission of unit convener.