Neurological Interventions 1 PG (6452.4)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2019 Physio Non Standard Period 1 MRS Maja LEECH (Ph: +61 2 62068302 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 1 MRS Maja LEECH (Ph: +61 2 62068302 ) ON-CAMPUS
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Physio Non Standard Period 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (191779) - View
- UC Trimester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180814) - View
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164598) - View
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (155910) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit covers the theoretical and practical assessment of normal and abnormal functional movement including gait, posture, bed transfers and upper limb function in the context of brain injury. The roles of cognitive, sensory and environmental factors will be explored. Motor control theory will be applied to movement and rehabilitation. Various approaches to neurological rehabilitation will be compared. Physiotherapy management of impairments associated with common neurological conditions will be introduced.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand the development of normal movement across the ages;
2. Assess and document abnormal movement and sensory changes in the adult client;
3. Plan and conduct an appropriate assessment with outcome measures for a neurologically impaired client;
4. Develop and implement a treatment plan for a less complex neurological deficit;
5. Understand neural recovery mechanisms and motor control theory to enhance learning outcomes; and
6. These competencies will be demonstrated and integrated into clinical physiotherapy practice.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Physio Non Standard Period 1, 2019
- UC Trimester 1, 2018
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2017
- Flexible and Self Paced Period 2, 2016
Up to three hours lecture/tutorial; two hours per week practical work; up to 100 hours clinical placement over a year.
6449 Musculoskeletal Interventions 1P and 7786 Neuromuscular Interventions PG and 6447 Cardiothoracic Interventions 1P
Enrolment in the Master of Physiotherapy 768AA