Health Professional Practice 1 PG (6450.3)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
This unit is no longer offered. Information may be available for Units in the following years:
- Version 2 - Start Date: 01/01/2007 End Date: 31/12/2008
- Version 1 - Start Date: 01/01/2004 End Date: 31/12/2006
- Version 3 - Start Date: 01/01/2009 End Date: 31/12/2013
This unit introduces issues and practices in health care service delivery as they affect the health professional. Focus will be on communication with patients, carers and health professionals. Increased understanding of the needs of the patient within the health care system will be developed and, in particular, discussion of issues that may be a barrier to effective communication. There will be a focus on intra and interdisciplinary communication and teamwork. Profession specific curriculum may be required.
1. Understand the importance of and demonstrate, clear techniques in verbal and written communication as they apply to different areas of professional practice, involving patients, carers and health professionals;
2. Identify and overcome barriers to effective communication including consideration of culture and ethnicity.
3. Understand the importance of safe practice and apply basic occupational health and safety principles.
4. Understand the legal framework required for professional practice.
5. Apply the concepts of efficient, effective and reflective practice to their developing professional practice.
Up to 3 hours per week lecture/tutorial or equivalent; up to 100 hours clinical placement over a year, or other clinical experience.