Data Analysis in Science (1809.8)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Adrian DUSTING (Ph: +61 2 62015763 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Margarita MEDINA (Ph: ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196125) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190229) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181488) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166000) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149803) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139231) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This subject gives students an understanding of the application of elementary and numerical techniques used in natural sciences assessment and management. It also introduces students to the concepts and techniques used in the modelling of interactive systems.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Recognise essential elements of their research system and understand particular principles of simple system analysis;
2. Design and conduct an experiment within a quality control and assurance framework;
3. Collect and manipulate data that are both of a numerical and non-numerical character;
4. Comprehend, apply and interpret the results of standard data analysis and statistical methods including descriptive statistics, parametric and non-parametric hypothesis testing, linear regression, and simple analyses of variance and be able to express these effectively in a written environment;
5. Use standard statistical packages such as SPSS as well as Excel to prepare, manipulate and process data; and
6. Integrate quantitative information with statistical outcomes towards developing an understanding of a research topic.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
1 hour lecture, 3 hours tutorial per week.
5123 Business Statistics,
6540 Introduction to Statistics,
8730 Problem Evaluation and Resolution and
9522 Business Research Methods
- 142HG Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 120JA Bachelor of Arts in Landscape
- 130JA Bachelor of Arts in Landscape/Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 762HG Bachelor of Commerce
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 248HG Bachelor of Justice Studies
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 195JA Bachelor of Social Science in Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies