Sport Governance and Policy (11563.1)
|Level:||Intermediate Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 MR Stirling SHARPE (Ph: +61 2 62012986 ) FLEXIBLE
This unit is designed to encourage students to develop the skills necessary to critically analyse the principles of governance in sport and the creation, implementation and review of policy. In particular, the unit will focus on identifying organisational governance structures, management and use of assets (e.g. facilities, infrastructure, equipment and personnel), identification and management of risk and the overall policy process. Areas of discussion will include how sporting organisations set and achieve their objectives; the rules and procedures for making organisational decisions; the means of optimising and monitoring performance; along with strategic planning and policy development.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and contextualise the principles of governance and how an organisation develops strategic goals as part of a system of governance that fits the applicable sport;
2. Interpret the broad principles of governance and policy development and how those principles might be applied on an operational level;
3. Identify the steps for an organisation to comply with its legal and regulatory obligations and ultimately ensure it is acting in the best interests of its stakeholders;
4. Critically evaluate the mechanisms and benchmarks for organisational performance and how its board can ensure best practice and measure performance; and
5. Illustrate an understanding of policy development, implementation and methods for evaluating policy effectiveness.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop per week delivered in flexible mode (on campus and/or online).
Introductory knowledge of the Australian sport system.
9368 Sport Governance and Policy
- MGB108 Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business