Sport Innovation and Program Development (11562.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Billy MASON (Ph: +61 2 62015432 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192628) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit explores the role of sport innovation and program development in light of health, social, political and economic demands in which the sport industry exists. The concept of sport for all is explored in detail, with consideration given to benchmark practices that have improved the health and well-being of minority groups, especially people with a disability, those from linguistic and culturally diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as first people. Innovation and social entrepreneurship is considered throughout the unit as a means by which sport can be delivered and how sport can be utilised as a vehicle. Sport for development is examined in detail by considering sport as a vehicle to build communities and social cohesion.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain how the 'sport for all' concept enables inclusiveness and promotes innovative thinking to deliver sport products;
2. Identify and appraise the principles of program development and how these must be contextualised to meet the needs of various population groups;
3. Implement the principles of sport development pathways to further develop a sport within a club, state-based, or social organisation;
4. Compare and contrast the health practices of minority population groups and formulate sport programs that have the capacity to develop lifelong health and wellbeing within these populations;
5. Appraise the value of sport as a vehicle to build social communities within a variety of populations; and
6. Demonstrate critical analysis skills to allow for innovation in sport delivery.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 1, 2020
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 1, 2020
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop on campus per week.
Introductory knowledge of sport for all as a concept and organisations involved in delivering sport.
7983 Contemporary Issues in Sport
- MGB108 Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business