High Performance Sport Management (11561.1)
|Level:||Intermediate Unit Level|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 MR Stirling SHARPE (Ph: +61 2 62012986 ) ON-CAMPUS
This unit is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of high performance sport from a management perspective. In doing so, the unit examines and evaluates contemporary issues and practices relating to: 1) elite sport systems delivering world class performance; 2) the influence of sport policy on success; 3) stakeholder interactions to fund and deliver elite sport; 4 player agency and team management; and 5) athlete monitoring. Particular attention is paid to synthesising these five topics to assess and analyse the interaction between stakeholders who collaborate to deliver high performance outcomes. The unit draws on expertise from contemporary research and industry practise through guest lectures, case studies, and required readings.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and contextualise an understanding of the unique challenges and demands of the high performance sport environment;
2. Critically evaluate the systems and processes used to deliver high performance sport;
3. Interpret and evaluate the influences management decisions can have on high performance sport systems holistically;
4. Recognise and evaluate an overview of cross organisation considerations which need to be balanced to achieve joint interests and objectives; and
5. Critically examine systematic funding requirements and distribution of funds within a sporting context.
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop on campus per week.
Introductory knowledge of sport delivery systems and stakeholder engagement.
9366 High Performance Sport Management
- MGB108 Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business