High Performance Sport Management (11561.1)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Sport and Exercise Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 1 MR Stirling SHARPE (Ph: +61 2 62012986 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2021, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (200836) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192627) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of high performance sport from a management perspective. In doing so, the unit examines and evaluates contemporary issues and practices relating to: 1) elite sport systems delivering world class performance; 2) the influence of sport policy on success; 3) stakeholder interactions to fund and deliver elite sport; 4 player agency and team management; and 5) athlete monitoring. Particular attention is paid to synthesising these five topics to assess and analyse the interaction between stakeholders who collaborate to deliver high performance outcomes. The unit draws on expertise from contemporary research and industry practise through guest lectures, case studies, and required readings.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and contextualise an understanding of the unique challenges and demands of the high performance sport environment;
2. Critically evaluate the systems and processes used to deliver high performance sport;
3. Interpret and evaluate the influences management decisions can have on high performance sport systems holistically;
4. Recognise and evaluate an overview of cross organisation considerations which need to be balanced to achieve joint interests and objectives; and
5. Critically examine systematic funding requirements and distribution of funds within a sporting context.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2021
- Semester 1, 2020
One 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour workshop on campus per week.
Introductory knowledge of sport delivery systems and stakeholder engagement.
9366 High Performance Sport Management
Work Integrated Learning
- MGB108 Bachelor of Business (Sport Management)
- MGAR03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Arts
- MGIT03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Business Informatics
- MGAR01 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media
- MGSC03 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Laws
- MGSC02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MGIT02 Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Information Technology
- SCMG01 Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Business