Applied Physiotherapy Skills PG (11553.1)
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Jaquelin BOUSIE (Ph: +61 2 62012035 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198521) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit requires students to synthesise their knowledge and skills from the first year of the Physiotherapy degree, and apply them in the context of manual therapy, therapeutic exercise prescription, and preparation for clinical placement. This unit has a major practical component where students will refine their hands-on skills, and further challenge their ability to deliver patient-centred care through a more sophisticated lens, including a deeper understanding of indigenous healthcare, and exposure to more complex cases. A lecture series devoted to preparation and skills required for clinical placement will also complement the practical aspect of this unit, such that students completing this unit are well-prepared for practice in the real world.
This unit may be co-taught with the undergraduate unit 11541 Applied Physiotherapy Skills.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Integrate and evaluate a variety of clinical approaches (including both manual therapy and therapeutic exercise) to appropriately assess and manage patients across a spectrum of musculoskeletal conditions;
2. Articulate clinical reasoning in relation to realistic and/or simulated case studies, including both assessment and treatment modifications for a given presentation;
3. Demonstrate insight and sensitivity regarding physiotherapy assessment and interventions for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients;
4. Demonstrate and evaluate more complex physiotherapy interventions that may be appropriate in patients with more complex musculoskeletal conditions and existing co-morbidities (e.g. cancer, lymphoedema); and
5. Be ready to attempt clinical placements in the final semester, having developed an understanding of the importance of reflective practice, giving and receiving feedback, and professionalism in the clinical setting, and completing manual handling and First Aid training.
Two hours of lectures and three hours of tutorials on campus per week.
6453 Musculoskeletal Interventions 2 PG AND
6452 Neurological Interventions 1 PG AND
6455 Cardiothoracic Interventions 2 PG AND
9594 Epidemiology and Principles of Research
6456 Neurological Interventions 2 PG AND 11551 Physiotherapy Across the Lifespan PG AND 6486 Research Planning PG
Physiotherapy skills and knowledge as specified in prerequisite units.
11541 Applied Physiotherapy Skills
6457 Musculoskeletal Interventions 3 PG