Orthopaedic Physiotherapy PG (11505.1)
Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Physiotherapy|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Angie FEARON (Ph: +61 2 62068717 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196653) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (192679) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit introduces musculoskeletal and structural injury and trauma, and degenerative and inflammatory musculoskeletal diseases. It advances the student's understanding of structural and functional musculoskeletal anatomy in the context of musculoskeletal trauma and disease. Physiotherapy, surgery, and therapeutic exercise are introduced and explored for these traumatic and degenerative conditions. There will be a focus on developing knowledge about prevention and evidence-based management of chronic musculoskeletal diseases. Further emphasis will also be placed on developing skills in the prevention and management of physical problems secondary to these trauma injuries and degenerative conditions.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of musculoskeletal trauma including fracture classification;
2. Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of chronic inflammatory and degenerative diseases of the musculoskeletal system;
3. Understand and identify patient problems and principles for physiotherapy management of orthopaedic patients, and be able to discuss this in the context of current evidence;
4. Develop communication skills for talking with, and writing to, professional and lay people;
5. Choose and apply appropriate basic physiotherapy management for routine orthopaedic problems;
6. Demonstrate safety in manual skills; and
7. Explain and evaluate the role of therapeutic ultrasound in patient management and demonstrate competency in its use.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
Two hours of lectures and three hours of tutorials on campus per week.
This unit is only available to students in the Master of Physiotherapy course. Students must be concurrently enrolled in, or have already passed, 6447 Cardiothoracic Interventions 1 PG AND 6449 Musculoskeletal Interventions 1 PG AND 11552 Essential Physiotherapy Skills PG.
Anatomy, functional anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics as per the prerequisites for entry into the Master of Physiotherapy course.
8975 Orthopaedic Physiotherapy