Building and Construction Law PG (11456.1)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 PROF Murray RAFF (Ph: +61 2 62015969 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 PROF Murray RAFF (Ph: +61 2 62015969 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190683) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190682) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit traverses:
- the dynamics of the building and construction industries and the law
- the structure of legal regulation of the building industry
- the players in a building project and their legal status
- the building contract
- securities over the site, the contract and assignment
- payment claims
- building disputes
- the building site as a workplace
- completion of the building contract.
This unit may be co-taught with an undergraduate version of the unit.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and describe the nature and sources of the law generally, and specifically the law relating to building and construction, as well as its administration;
2. Identify and describe the frameworks within which building law operates at the local, state, national and international levels;
3. Identify and analyse industry contracts and their functions; and
4. Explain and appraise the operation of building law and the legal rights and obligations of the players in the building and construction industries.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour tutorial on campus per week.
6225 Business Law G OR
11434 Contract Law G
Building and Construction Law G