Integrating and Aligning Human Capital PG (11427.2)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Business School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Doug JACKMAN (Ph: +61 2 62015896 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (198183) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190455) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit enables you to demonstrate an understanding of a complex body of knowledge in the fields of human capital management and strategic human resource management. You will use the strategy alignment and practice integration model of strategic human resource management and analyze its presence and contribution to business and corporate level strategy and organisational performance in a given dynamic organisational context. This unit also focuses on the evolution of thinking about strategic human resource management, the role of the HR professional in the strategy formulation and implementation process, and the challenge of integrating and aligning HR practice and strategy with business and corporate level strategy.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Critique a complex body of theoretical knowledge relating to strategic human resource management in a variety of organisational contexts including the developments in this evolving field of study (as well as in the field of strategic management).
2. Critically assess and apply the role and competencies of an HR professional and their relationship to senior management in the formulation and implementation of HRM strategy that aligns with business and corporate strategy.
3. Analyse, interpret and synthesise the research on human and social capital and strategic HRM in relation to change and improvement in employee wellbeing, operational and corporate performance.
4. Demonstrate skill in advocating sound ethical principles in context and the use of more complex HR metrics in evidence-based decision-making relating to investment in or the evaluation of HRM practice.
5. Analyse a complex body of knowledge including recent developments in relation to the key factors driving organisational change, changes in the workforce in a given context in response to a dynamic organisational environment.
6. Synthesise a complex body of knowledge including recent developments in relation to industry research on strategic HRM in a given organisational context and identify the scope for improvements in HRM practices and HRM strategy formulation and implementation.
7. Present with skills and creativity the results of research and analysis of organisational HRM capability in a dynamic business context.
8. Demonstrate a high level of personal autonomy and accountability.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
Three hours of an on-campus interactive workshop and an online lecture per week.
Understanding of theory and practice in human capital and human resource management.
11196 Integrating and Aligning Human Capital.
6791 Strategic Human Resource Management PG.