Law of Business Associations PG (11404.1)
Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020) Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021) Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
|Faculty:||Faculty of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline:||Canberra Law School|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 DR Jenny FU (Ph: +61 2 62015761 ) ON-CAMPUS
UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2021 Semester 2 PROF Alison GERARD (Ph: +61 2 62012760 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's and or the ACT Government’s directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, GBCA-MELB (203550) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190979) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190333) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit examines the law affecting the main types of commercial associations used for private enterprise. Partnerships and companies are examined, with most attention being given to the latter. The practical and theoretical aspects of the law relating to the internal structure and the external relations of these organisations will be studied. The unit will satisfy the requirements of accounting students seeking admission to professional accounting organisations.
This unit will be co-taught with the undergraduate unit 11222 Law of Business Associations.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Research, identify and apply the essential features of corporations law and the law relating to partnerships and the levels of legal accountability that arise in these organisations;
2. Analyse the legal aspects of corporate finance, company liquidations and securities regulation;
3. Critically analyse existing law and the nature of reform proposals and policy issues associated with corporations law from a legal and policy perspective;
4. Analyse information from a variety of sources to produce a coherent piece of advice for a hypothetical client, outlining the likely legal consequences of certain actions or inactions in areas including directors' duties, corporate financing and external administration; and
5. Identify and analyse selected ethical issues and discuss the application of the law in a business context.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
Three hours of lectures and tutorials (including problem based learning) on campus per week.
6225 Business Law G or equivalent.
An understanding of the Australian legal system and of the law of contracts (including formation, termination and remedies), the law of agency and the law of torts.
11222 Law of Business Associations and 11280 Corporations Law
6231 Corporate Law and Practice G