Language Acquisition PG (11387.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Online
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ONLINE
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ON-CAMPUS 2021 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ONLINE, BRUCE-ONL (203267) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ONLINE, BRUCE (203361) - View
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (196011) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190195) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides students with knowledge of how a second language is learned. It covers a range of issues relevant to the description and explanation of second language acquisition processes. The unit also provides insights into language acquisition processes in other areas, such as first language acquisition. Students will look critically at theories and research findings of language acquisition and develop their skills as teacher-researcher.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain (second) language acquisition processes;
2. Recognise various factors underlying language acquisition processes; and
3. Apply their knowledge to better understand their learners in a creative, research-driven way.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Semester 2, 2020
- All Content is Delivered Online (ONLINE)
- On-Campus Attendance (Expected) and Online Content (ON-CAMPUS)
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2020
- UC - Canberra, Online
Up to 3 hours of on campus delivery per week - details to be advised.
Students must be enrolled in or have already passed 11388 English Grammar PG OR 11384 Study of Language G.
7656 Language Acquisition G
- EDC301 Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDG301 Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM301 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM302 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)