Language Acquisition PG (11387.1)
|HECS Bands:||1, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Education|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Education|
UC - Canberra, Online
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ONLINE
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ONLINE 2020 Semester 2 DR Elke STRACKE (Ph: +61 2 62012492 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
As a result of the Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may find that learning activities and/or assessment items in some units you are studying have changed. These changes will not be updated in the published Unit Outline but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. The new learning activities and/or assessment items will continue to meet the unit's learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
New learning activities and/or assessment items are available on your unit's UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Please contact your Unit Convener with any questions.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (190195) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit provides students with knowledge of how a second language is learned. It covers a range of issues relevant to the description and explanation of second language acquisition processes. The unit also provides insights into language acquisition processes in other areas, such as first language acquisition. Students will look critically at theories and research findings of language acquisition and develop their skills as teacher-researcher.
After successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain (second) language acquisition processes;
2. Recognise various factors underlying language acquisition processes; and
3. Apply their knowledge to better understand their learners in a creative, research-driven way.
Up to 3 hours of on campus delivery per week - details to be advised.
Students must be enrolled in or have already passed 11388 English Grammar PG OR 11384 Study of Language G.
7656 Language Acquisition G
- EDC301 Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDG301 Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM301 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDM302 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)